Monday, October 1, 2007

Fundraising Idea


One Laptop Per Child

I learned of this program when I first saw the Design for the Other 90% exhibition at the Cooper Hewitt in the spring of 2007. It has received a ton of press and is an interesting object/product and idea. There is a big push aimed at the public/individuals to launch this. Reading recent press about the push to launch this, I immediately put it on my charitable donations shortlist. Purchasing/donating to the cause is within many people's reach which brings me to the Metals Club: would the metals club consider this as its fundraising project?

Nicholas Negraponte, the person behind this, is the former director of the Media Lab at MIT, a position I believe he left to launch this program. Checkout the website at http://laptop.org. The software is open source which is also great.....Fuel the Revolution!

2 comments:

Rebecca Dortzbach said...

I hear dand read about this, also we saw this in n.y didn't we?its too bad that its slow getting started for the company.. as far as metals club, i dont know. ill bring it up in the meeting tonight. mabye we can look into a variety of ways we can support their cause.

megan said...

I also read about this somewhere - whatever article I read talked about how the cost for the computers keeps going up.

I'm a little slow today - do you mean that we would fund raise for this as our community service this semester?